Menu Close

Guest House (Hospice) of Saint Catherine [Images + Map]

The Hospice of St. Catherine was built in 1391-92, under grand master Heredia, by the Italian Domenico d’Allemagna, admiral of the Order of the Knights of St. John (Knights Hospitaller). The founder was an important personage, disposing of considerable means. The foundation charter of the Hospice in 1391 states that it was “founded in the burgus of Rhodes, near the walls at the gate leading to the mole already known as the Gate of St. Catherine from 1465”. The situation of the building draws the eye, as it projects into the axis of the high street; the salient part carries the coats of arms of 1516.